Friday 1 October 2021

Strong 'flu reaction

Normally the after-affects of my annual 'flu shot are minimal. This time proved the exception. I felt tired and went to bed around then thirty, and as the house temperature lowered, as it usually does between midnight and sunrise, I felt chilled and couldn't get warm, then I had strong muscular and joint aches and pains at random, plus a spasmodic headache of the kind I recall from having an infection, though without my temperature going up - what I call a 'toxic' head, like a mild hangover, without the alcohol. It was a pretty miserable night, and after breakfast I went back to bed until lunchtime, then after lunch, slept until four. 

I was in bed over thirteen hours altogether, until I felt well enough to get up and salvage the remains of the day hoping to clear my 'toxic' head with some brisk walking in the fresh air. During the night my fit-bit strap finally became unwearable. I have to wait until next week before a replacement one is delivered. Meanwhile I must carry my phone everywhere, to track my activity level, easier said than done.

Rufus rang up to tell me that he'd moved back to Cwmcarn and was now on retirement leave, waiting to hear what he's be called upon to do next. It will be good to have him back in the Church in Wales.

I walked to the shops for the few things I needed from Tesco's. Outside the store there are some stone benches, in the past frequented by a small group of older men and a few woman who like to sit outdoors to drink out of cans and chat. During lock-down the group of benches was enclosed with Heras fencing to discourage socializing in an area that could be crowded with shopper queuing. The group moved to the steps in front of Calvary Baptist church to socialize, where there's an iron bench around a small tree. They're not badly behaved, and have remained there since the fencing has been taken down. Technically, on the steps they are on private property, so no subject to attempts to move them on unless the police get a complaint from the church.

As I felt better for getting outdoors I extended my walk around the park. Slowly my head cleared. Some of my body muscles still ache mildly. It feels like I have had a complete dose of 'flu within 24 hours. I don't recall feeling as poorly since the Christmas at St John's when I went sick with 'flu very rapidly at midday of Christmas eve and was in bed until New Year's eve. As the pharmacist had asked if I'd report any anomalous reaction to the job, I called into the shop and described what had happened since yesterday. It seems the information is fed back to the vaccine provider, ever keen to monitor effectiveness.

This evening, I completed and printed off my Sunday sermon in honour of St German. Nothing on telly seemed worth watching. Here's hoping for a therapeutic night's sleep, and not so long as today's.


No comments:

Post a Comment