Sunday 22 September 2024

Heron Haiku again

A dull damp Sunday. We went to the Eucharist at St Catherine's, with fifty others, Sunday school children included. After lunch, a siesta in the armchair for over an hour. I had in idea for a reflection on the passage from Acts to be used in next week's Thursday morning prayer, and very quickly wrote it before going for a walk in light drizzle.

My course included the east side stretch of the trail along the Taff down to Blackweir. I spotted a heron standing in a storm drain which crosses beneath the path, an unusual place to stand, as the light is poor, so the photos I took weren't all that good. Then the bird took to the air and flew up to a branch on a nearby tree. It was about ten feet above my head, but again the light was poor. Interesting to see a heron in such a shadowy place under the cover of trees where even with the keenest sight it wouldn't be easy to spot fish if there were any in the shallow waters of the gully fifteen feet below. This gave me an idea for composing another heron haiku, which I did while walking, dictating it into my phone, leaving the writing until later.

Heron in tree takes / time out from the river bank / rain stops prey today

When I went to check my Fitbit app, after walking, I was surprised to be told to log into my account again, something which hasn't happened since I installed it and set it up at first use. It was an annoying rigmarole. Login details were memorised by my phone, but it kept on reverting to the opening page, with no error message displaying. It did however offer the alternative of logging in with Google credentials and once I did this, the app resumed normal functioning. Then I remembered seeing a tech news items a few weeks ago, stating that Samsung was phasing out use of its log in credentials for Smartwatches for those who use a Google email address to log in with. I guess it's a way to enhance security, but to do so without giving an explanation is no way to increase trust in the system.

Yesterday in an exchange of messages with Rachel, she told me about a new digital guitar amplifier she proposes trying out today. She reported back how pleased she was with the one she tried and bought it on the spot, so we've decided to pay for it rather than imposing a burden on her credit card.

After supper I watched another episode of 'Grace' using headphones, while Clare was viewing a proms performance of Mozart's Requiem, accompanied by a group of contemporary dancers. An imaginative idea but it was unsatisfying. It was beautifully performed but the choreography often seemed disconnected from the music. Movement I glimpsed occasionally out of the corner of my eye didn't adequately express the moods and emotions of this final masterwork, one of Mozart's greatest. A challenging creative project, but it needed more than it could deliver to express the solemnly sacred ritual progress of a Requiem Mass channelling powerful emotions behind its liturgical text. And so to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment