Wednesday 5 February 2014

Cross cultural communiction

Today was cloudy and damp. I got up early and celebrated the Eucharist at St Andrews's, after lunch I took Communion in hospital to Fr David Wright, former Chaplain, living in retirement near his daughter in Calahonda. It was a lovely experience, ministering to a fellow priest, and we discovered we had in common a colleague from my Geneva days, Fr Hugh Pettingell. Apparently they were at Kings College Cambridge together.

As I was about to set out from the car park, I was accosted by a teenage girl called Ina, who'd popped out of a basement building for a smoke, from where some sort of social event or language class was going on. She  saw I was a priest and asked me if I believed in God. We had a conversation surrounding her opinion of the Finnish cleric who visited her granny at home. Both of them were convinced the cleric didn't believe in God. I suggested the real problem might be lack of a common means of expression to speak about things to do with God, just like the generational gap  or the cultural language gap between countries. Ina seemed to appreciate this and gave me a big hug before re-joining her friends. It made my day.
    

No comments:

Post a Comment