Tuesday 4 February 2014

Cheque in

Monday was a day of clouds and intermittent rain, and I got pretty damp during my afternoon paseo. Apart from that, I passed the day writing in the apartment and later in the office, mapping out Lent Study events I'm proposing to offer on the interpretation of Semana Santa tradition, and writing copy for the welcome page of the Chaplaincy website, which is finally getting an overdue update. I had an email from one of the wardens of the Costa Azahar Chaplaincy asking if I could help them out in March, which I can't because I'm here. It seems they are coping with another interregnum. Following the death of his wife last Autumn, Fr Clem has decided not to return. It's sad news all round, and another long wait in prospect to recruit a successor.

This morning, I walked into the centre of Fuengirola to the bank used by the church to cash an expenses cheque written, not to me personally, but to el portador (the bearer), without an account to pay it into. I had one of those from a funeral director when I was here in November, and the treasurer took care of it. It's many decades since I last handled one of this kind in Britain. Cashing a cheque rarely a different experience. It seems this practice is still common routine here.

From the bank, I walked up to El Corte Ingles, then back to the apartment, a round trip of about seven kilometres, calling at the huge open air market at the recinto feriale on the last stretch to get some more olives, as I ran out last night. I got a mix of back and green, straight from the big storage tubs, and they were so much more delicious than the canned ones that I've been getting for convenience, I'll make more effort in future. I stopped next at a big Chinese supermarket and bought a couple of small food storage containers just for this purpose. The other thing I'm enjoying at the moment is luscious ripe avocados, small ones the size of an apple and a larger variety the size of a big grapefruit. Together with olives, and a dressing of garlic, oil and lemon, this is a truly enduring comfort food! One of things I love about Spain.
    

No comments:

Post a Comment