Sunday 23 February 2014

Surviving Sunday

Saturday I spent resting as much as my back injury would allow me. The past few days have been very tiring. The pain gradually diminishes, spasms and the threat of spasm are fewer and far between, but sitting for long is still uncomfortable, and when I get up, it takes a while to get moving. All of this makes sustained rest difficult to achieve. I just have to be patient with myself, and stay as loose as I can.

Sunday morning, having had a decent amount of sleep in two hour snatches,  Della kindly drove me to the service in Calahonda in the chaplaincy car. I realised I could have difficulties getting into the car without risking a spasm and was grateful for her support. Indeed, I found that getting into the car as a passenger was something of a challenge. It was nice to have someone there saying "Don´t worry, take your time" when you're conscious of the shortening gap between the end of one service and the start of another.

I was relieved to find I coped well with celebrating and preaching at Calahonda, though conscious of how tiring it was on the return journey. At St Andrew's I was fine too, although I could feel the beginning of a spasm towards the end of preaching, a symptom of tiredness. As any sitting arrangement posed problems I had to stay on my feet for both services, altogether two and a half hours. I couldn't have done that easily when I was much younger, but the training of Tai Chi and Chi Gung has been a blessing this past decade.

After Skyping the family, gathered in Kenilworth for this weekend's tenth birthday celebration for Rhiannon, I was certainly ready for an early night.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment