Wednesday 18 February 2015

Ash Wednesday

The beginning of Lent, and wondering what I should do lately, has led me to the idea of working on a daily reflection/meditation in a separate blog, drawing upon images or pictures which catch attention and make me think. Yesterday's outing to Patricio brought me face to face with a work of sculptor Frank Roper which I hadn't seen before. Roper did some marvelous works for churches, including a lovely crucifix in the Herbert Chapel at St John's. His style of working in cast metal is distinctive. I sensed it was one of his works before I could find the attribution on the back of a church postcard.

Anyway, I set up the blog, and then spent a great deal of time wondering what image might strike me as worth reflecting upon to get started. After a quiet morning at home working, I went to the monthly Ignatian meditation session at Diana's house. There were seven of us, the best attendance for ages, in spite of this being a busy day for the three clergy in the group. During the silence, one image kept on presenting itself for attention. You can find the result on the blog posting here.

I went into the CBS office for a couple of hours in the afternoon, though there wasn't much to do except look up information and pass it on by phone, so I wrote a sermon before going home to get the car to drive out to Tongwynlais and celebrate the Ashing Eucharist of the day with ten others. I'm wondering what I'm going to learn in the weeks ahead, and whether it will help me sense the direction in which my ministry is meant to be moving now.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment