Monday 19 November 2018

A royal feast of music

The temperature has dropped over the weekend and stays low, more trees are now stripped of their leaves, so it looks and feels more like winter. This called for a brisk walk to the GP surgery early this morning to deliver a sample swabbed from my wound with Clare's kind help yesterday evening. Not a bad idea to test this in case there's anything unexpected to be spotted, I guess. From there I went down to the bank to pay in some money before walking home.

In the afternoon, I took the bus to town to buy a new sphygmometer for measuring blood pressure. I've come to the conclusion that the variation in readings it gives may have as much to do with the reliability of the device, as it does with my physical variability. I was pleased to pay only twenty quid, roughly half the price they were when I first considered buying one a decade or so ago. If fact, a lady working in St John's tea room gave me one she'd given up using, so that one could now be twenty years old. The new one is smaller, batteries only, and it memorises thirty readings in sequence if you don't have paper to write your readings down, as I must before recording them on a spreadsheet for the sake of my GP.

After supper, we walked to Chapter Arts Centre to see the movie 'Bohemian Rhapsody', the bio-pic about Queen and Freddy Mercury. It was a wonderful, faithful production, conjuring up the seventies and eighties, climaxing in the Live Aid Concert for Africa, and full of familiar songs portrayed in the making or performed on stage. When we got home, we looked at original footage of Queen's performance at Live Aid in Wembley stadium in 1985, and realised just how historically faithful a recreation the film presented. What a musical feast! I didn't our couldn't get into Queen at that time, have nonetheless been exposed to the music in every decade since. But I still haven't memorised any of the lyrics. I never was good at that, unlike my amazing singing daughters. 

No comments:

Post a Comment