Sunday 25 November 2018

Friend reunited

We attended the eight o'clock Eucharist at St Catherine's this morning, to be sure we were ready to leave by half past eleven to drive up to the New House Country hotel at the bottom of Thornhill for the Friends of St John's annual luncheon party. It was lovely to see the familiar faces of old friends. We were honoured to eat at Sarah, the new Vicar's table, with the church wardens, the President of the Friends Sir Norman Lloyd Edwards, choir leader Vanessa and her husband Keith. It was a lovely occasion with good food and conversation. There were three dozen of us. 

I was saddened to learn of the recent death of Dorothy Wilkins yet another ancient St John's stalwart who was ninety nine years old. Though forever seemingly frail since I first met her eighteen years ago, she was alert, lively and active right into her years. After giving up her family home a decade ago, I understand she moved house three times, rather unusual, given the impact this can have on people, the older they get. Is it constitution, temperament, mindset, making one person comfortable with change and another averse to it?

After an uncomfortable day yesterday, I wondered how I would cope with sitting so long, but in the event, I had no problem. It's the furthest afield I've been for a while, and I was glad to be out of Cardiff (just) for a change of scene. The fields falling away below the hotel were tinted with mist and the sun shone where we were, while central Cardiff was still under miserable thin cloud, typical of this time of year.

Another episode of Little Drummer Girl in the evening. It's a bit of an effort to keep up with the plot in the way the movie is put together. I keep wishing I could remember the book, which I must have read thirty years ago. I don't have a copy now, and don't feel compelled to care enough about the story or the characters to go out and buy one.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment