Friday 9 November 2018

Shots in the dark

It was Rachel's 45th birthday today. Clare and I recorded ourselves singing her a 'Happy Birthday' on WhatsApp after breakfast, and sent it to her so she'd receive it when she woke up some eight hours later in Arizona. We were spoke to her in the late evening just before we went to bed, and she was setting out to collect Jasmine from school. A small consolation for being so far away. It's at times like this you really regret such a distance between you and your nearest and dearest. 

I walked into town mid afternoon and met Ashley for a cuppa and a chat in John Lewis' top floor restaurant. It was dusk when we parted company and the traffic was moving slowly, so I walked back along the largely unlit riverside path, busy with pedestrians and bike commuters armed with dazzlingly bright LED lights. It made me wonder how many collisions occur at winter evening rush hour.

I took with me my trusty seven year old Lumix LX5, handy for photographing townscapes. Nearly all my Central Square photos over the past three and a half years have been taken with it, but on this occasion, the natural light was waning by the time I arrived.  I took a few on the path along the Taff walking home, by way of an experiment, so see what Google Photos web editing tools could make of them. Maybe if I'd used the camera's ability to take uncompressed RAW format images to edit, I would have had more better results, but I've only ever worked with JPEG images, whose quality in low light on a camera of this age isn't good anyway. Three of the five I took were keepers, for interest's sake. Next time I'm out with it in the dark, I'll experiment.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment