Thursday 27 December 2018

A scientific take on being human

For the time being, although these nasty interludes are physically distressing, once stability returns, I recover and can carry on as normal after a rest, as if I'd just done a punishing workout. So, when I woke up I felt confident I could officiate at this morning's funeral, and so didn't need to ask Fr Mark to take over, as we'd agreed, just in case.The service was at Pidgeon's chapel of rest, followed by a burial in Western Cemetery. I was quite mild for the end of year at the graveside and the sun peeked through the clouds briefly, not that the grieving family would have noticed.

Another visit from District Nurse team member Emma for a dressing change. was arranged for when I returned. She said that she'd been in touch with my GP surgery to advise them of what happened Christmas night and request a referral letter to the District Nurse Team and Riverside Health Centre, to join up all the dots administratively. This makes sure I come off the emergency nursing visit list and one to the one for regular in-surgery treatment. This is a relief, as it means I'm getting checked out daily up to the operation date, to forestall any further problems, and can be treated there afterwards as well. This takes the anxiety out of waiting and coping. What more could I asked.

The children took their leave of us after lunch, leaving the house rather quiet and empty. Clare set about the task of seeing through and hanging out several loads of washing, on the outdoor line while there was daylight, and indoors, wherever she could. I feel as if I'm not pulling my weight at the moment, as I'm needing to sleep more to recover from the last minor crisis.

I watched on BBC Four this evening the second of this year's series of Royal Institution Christmas Lectures - presenting scientific subjects to audiences of school children. The Beeb has broadcasted these on TV since 1966, so I remember them from that time and have watched occasionally since. 

'Who am I?' is the subject for this year, with a mix of Genetics and Paleo-Anthropology to tell the story of human evolution, and our relationship to the apes and other animals. It was beautifully and engagingly done, playfully involving lots of children in experimental demonstrations. This year's lecturer is a biological anthropologist, Professor Alice Roberts, and tonight's guest co-presenter Professor Aoife McLysaght, from the Genetics Society. In addition to being a carefully thought out science educational programme, it was a powerful public statement about women in science.

There's been a lot of concern expressed in recently about the disparity of proportion of women in every branch of science and engineering, despite some of our best and most senior scientists now being women. What better way to attract young girls to the adventure of science than two superb role models? Both of them don't talk down to kids, have a great sense of fun, only incidentally are they stylish dressers, the opposite of geeky sartorial dullness. Scientific investigators are all too often shrouded in uniform protective clothing, telling nothing about who they really are.

No comments:

Post a Comment