Tuesday 25 December 2018

Christmas comes

This morning I walked to our GP surgery, for another brief check on my vital signs and wound status. Owain went to Ashtons in Cardiff Market to collect the salmon Clare ordered. I went to R J Berry the Butcher's shop to collect the turkey she ordered  plus a dozen 'pigs in blankets' and streaky bacon to enhance the roasting thereof. There was a slow queue, but nobody was in a rush. On the streets I was noticed more people smiling than usual.

At three, Kath Anto and Rhiannon arrived, laden with presents, and preparations for supper began to the sound of Christmas favourite CDs of popular songs and carols. Time stands still as we relaxed with a glass of wine and caught up on each other's news. Teenage Rhiannon has developed since I saw her. She's not as quiet and introverted as was for a while, more talkative at ease among adults. Her schooling is enabling her to grow in confidence, and find her path.

The children went out visiting friends in the evening. Clare and I went to Midnight Mass at eleven. The Robin Hood pub was in the course of closing and there were some loud talking young women in street outside, plus a man who had thrown up, the fallen down and hit his head, drunk. I felt sorry for the neighbouring residents. No police in evidence to keep the peace. I'm not sure if the incident had been called in. We walked on, slightly late for St Catherine's. Clare was slowed down, impeded by an unexpected pain in her ankle joint.

St Catherine's was attended by about sixty people. Julian, who works in the local Co-op was seated behind us, wearing a santa hat and pullover. His white booted prosthetic lower left limb was decorated with a string of white Christmas lights. Mid-year he had a therapeutic amputation, and with true grit, was back at work in a wheelchair at first, and now using a walking stick to get about. I love his positivity! 

Tonight, I was glad to relax in the pew and enjoy the celebration as a plain worshipper. Emma preached thoughtfully. I was happy not to be pushing against tiredness, discomfort and low level pain, although getting home two hours after my current bedtime didn't do me any good.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment