Sunday 9 December 2018

Early Music videoing

We attended the Parish Eucharist at St Catherine's this morning, and then after lunch returned to church after lunch for the Fountain Choir concert in which Clare was singing. If it hadn't been for my current condition making rehearsals problematic, I would have been singing too. I made myself useful however, by taking photos with my HX50 and videoing almost all of the performance with my HX300. 

I'd intended to set the camera on a tripod and leave it to run but there were two snags, the first being lack of a blank SD card. Fortunately the card in the HX300 had enough space, despite being half full of pictures. The spare card in my wallet was full. I had forgotten to buy a replacement. Secondly the tripod adjustable platform mounting to which the camera is attached is unstable and won't rest in a horizontal position. I can't work out what's gone wrong with it but a repair or replacement is needed, so I ended up shooting each song hand held, and moving around, which actually gives more variety.

The choir sang a variety of Early Music pieces, and was joined for several of them by the Roath Recorder Consort, a quintet featuring the full range of recorders, as befits the music. I was pleased with the result of my efforts, and delighted that the concert went as well as it did. Hopefully some of my videos will find their way on to YouTube, and be used to publicise this musical collaboration on the next occasion when a joint performance is planned. 

Needless to say, I spent the evening learning yet again how to edit with Windows Movie Maker. It's July since I last needed to, making videos of Rachels' gig at the Apothecary. The laptop running it was Windows 8 and almost five years old. This program belongs to the period, and not to the era of web apps now forced upon us. As it happened, while editing there was a spell when we were without internet, but as it's a stand alone program, I could keep working, which is more than one can say about many current app offerings.

No comments:

Post a Comment