Wednesday 27 November 2019

A foot and eye day

After attending the Eucharist at St Catherine's this morning, I made my first ever visit to a Podiatrist. Michelle Bird has a practice in Llandaff Road. along with a masseur and an osteomyologist. I've been having trouble with painful corns on the edge of my feet for a while, and finally got around to doing something about it. The problem was sorted out quickly. Michelle, was very informative about how corns develop, and what can be done to prevent them. As I walk a great deal she recommended that I get a special pair of trainers designed for the purpose. That's something I'll need to follow through with when I get an opportunity.

This afternoon I had my annual eye test at the University School of Optometry. It came just at the right time, as the pair of specs with flexible frames which I use eighty percent of the time snapped in two yesterday. It's three years since I had them made. The prescription is 'intermediate'. I could read with them at close range, at arms length (useful at the altar) and fairly sharp up to ten metres. I feel quite lost without them. My reading and computer specs just aren't as good. Hopefully, in two weeks time I will have a replacement pair, although the design won't be the same.

My vision hasn't changed very much over the past year, except the cataract in my left eye is worse in the sense that my vision is cloudier than it was, but apart from this impediment I can still see quite well with it. The cloudiness affects me most when I'm outdoors and the sun is low in the sky. Ceri. the optician who examined me, explained the anatomy of the eyeball to me, how the cloudiness is due to a suspension of protein particles in fluid which forms the interior of the lens. When particles settle and coalesce on the inner surface vision becomes increasingly obscured. I'm nowhere near that state, although I am aware there is an impaired patch in my field of vision. Ceri said I'm not seeing badly enough yet to justify an eye surgeon doing the operation. So that's that, but I will get a replacement pair of intermediate specs and a revised driving pair, for free, as there was a two for one offer on.

No comments:

Post a Comment