Thursday 14 November 2019

Surgeon's inspection day

As Clare was working in kindergarten this morning, I chose to go by bus to Llandough Hospital for my long awaited surgical inspection. It poured down cruelly, on the fifteen minute walk to the nearest bus stop to get the 94 and 95 services which call there. I had to wait half an hour at a stop without a shelter, and it continued to rain throughout. Apparently the weather was causing schedule delays, and giving me the panics. I arrived soaking wet, rain penetrating through to my jacket beneath, half an hour early, and was pleased to discover that appointments for outpatient consultations are at the new reception area close to the entrance, so I didn't have to walk an extra third of a mile to the zone where the outpatient surgery theatres are sited.

Three others were being seen by Mrs Cornish, and I was second. She asked how I was feeling and I told her that I sensed though couldn't see the improvement, but for me the measurable sign of this is a huge reduction in medical dressing waste needing to be bagged and go out with the rubbish, at which she laughed. She inspected my wound and said she was very pleased with it. There needs to be a final operation to remove the Seton's suture, clean up and then plug the remaining holes. This again has but a fifty percent chance of success in preventing recurrence. 

Is this because the damage done by the long wait to get treatment in the first place was rather serious? But let's not go there. If this doesn't work, and a wound re-opens and leaks, there are two other plugging surgical techniques to be tried. It's not a matter of an ageing body it seems. The same can happen to someone half my age, if their condition isn't dealt with promptly.

The less than good news is that there'll be a three month wait for the final surgery. Mrs Cornish has had four operating theatre bookings cancelled for coming months due to a shortage of anaesthetists, and on top of that there's the impact of the run up to the Christmas and New Year holidays disrupting schedules as well. As they did last year, delaying the start of my treatment. It's the way things are, with inadequate NHS investment in people and services, plus poor management in some quarters. What a mess the country's in, and unfortunately us oldies living longer and failing to stay healthy add to the burden, so we must beware of complaining too loudly.

At least I know where I am now, and that makes waiting patiently less burdensome. For the most part I can cope with the residual pain and discomfort, although I still won't be able to offer to start locum duties once more, until I know when the next surgery date will be. I may be a few weeks before I am given a date. An earlier date might be possible if there was a cancellation and I was prepared to enter the lottery of a qualified duty surgeon assigned to the task, but Mrs Cornish has seen me through thus far, and that element of trust and confidence is important enough for me to be prepared to wait.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment