Thursday 21 November 2019

Transcription under way at last

Several times this week I've hunted high and low for an exercise book in which I wrote a daily record of my trip to Sarajevo in 1997. Finally this morning I found it, and started to transcribe and elaborate on some of the notes I made, which presume rather a lot on any reader other than me. This is going to be quite a job, but an interesting one.

End of the morning, I walked into town to meet Daniel for coffee and lunch, at the Waterloo Gardens Tea Room cafe and restaurant in the Wyndham Arcade. It gave me an opportunity to learn more about his research work on the untold story of the Gorazde siege in 1994 during the Bosnian war. I was amazed at the extent of the research he's done, and the breadth of understanding he already has of a complex of a three sided power struggle between Serbs Croats and Bosnian Muslims with geopolitical and organised crime overtones as well. 

It was an intense and stimulating conversation which brought to mind much I had forgotten about those years of conflict, as well as things I didn't learn about at the time. Daniel is looking for financial backing to make a long movie in twenty episodes in order to tell the story fully from every angle. He certainly has the material, as the real life events are as complex if not more so than any fictional block busting saga. As Daniel himself said, worse than 'Game of Thrones'.

After we parted company, I walked around the shops for a while, then returned home and spent the rest of the day and much of the evening writing up my travel journal. It's quite hard work, as I can't always decipher quickly me own handwriting. I don't think I've looked at this since the time I wrote it back in November 1997, twenty two years ago. How time flies!

No comments:

Post a Comment