Friday 29 November 2019

Sports ministry

I attended the Eucharist at St John's yesterday morning, and walking there noticed that I had a spring in my step, walking with less discomfort than before my podiatrist visit yesterday. In the evening I had a Eulogy to finish and a service to prepare for tomorrow, plus a sermon to write for St Saviour and St Germans on Sunday.

I had a funeral in Pidgeon's chapel just after lunch. One of the mourners approached me afterwards and expressed appreciation for the way I had taken the service. Then he told me that he was Chaplain to Cardiff City F.C. and a regional representative for the UK organisation 'Christians in Sport', we had a brief interesting conversation about his ministry among fans, players and staff alike. Apparently the UK has 750 sports chaplains. It's one of the ways in which sector ministry is exercised today, even if many chaplains are volunteers and few are paid.

Clare left the house at the same time as me for a train trip to Worcester, to stay overnight with Gail, and attend a Carnival Band rehearsal tomorrow. I had a good long walk over six miles as the sun was setting. The last sliver of the old moon was visible over a clear blue twilight horizon from Pontcanna Fields, exquisite.

No comments:

Post a Comment