Friday 4 September 2020

A memorable Prom

True to form, I received a phone call from my GP after breakfast this morning, a little shorter than the last time, perhaps because I'd better described my symptoms. She acknowledged my concern and prescribed another week's course of antibiotics to see if this will deal with the low level infection, and help reduce my blood pressure to what it used to be. I went out, collected the prescription and took it to the Boots pharmacy to make sure I could start taking the tablets this afternoon.

I returned home and cooked lunch for myself, as Clare was out to lunch with a friend. Then I walked into town, to investigate camera bags, as I'd like a dedicated bag for keeping safely my DSLR plus a couple of lenses. I was surprised at how expensive they are, but maybe I could ask for one as a Christmas present.

On the walk home I started to experience acute pain in my right foot, which made walking difficult and slow. I think a bone has been displaced enough to cause trouble when my muscles are warmed up. I will have to get some osteo treatment for this pretty soon, as it's quite disabling.

In the evening we listened to the BBC Prom on telly, featuring the playing and compositions of Anoushka Shankar, the daughter of Ravi Shankar, the greatest 20th century master of the Sitar and champion of Indian classical music. One of the first 33rpm long playing records we bought some fifty years ago was of Ravi Shankar playing ragas. Whether or not we learned about him from his association with the Beatles' George Harrison, or by some other means, I don't now remember, but it opened a door to another world of music, alongside that opened to Byzantine music by our backpacking trips to Greece in the late '60s. 

It was a wonderful evening of music, especially interesting because of the duet she did with Gold Panda, an electronic music artist, with whom she has developed a boundary breaking collaboration. Faithful to her cultural tradition yet confident exploring new dimensions of music making, just as her Dad did. He'd be really proud of her, playing a Prom on the centenary of his birth.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment