Thursday 3 September 2020

A return to the altar

This sunny morning, when I joined the congregation at St John's for the Eucharist, it was an occasion with special significance for me. It was the first time for me to lead worship with nine people from God's altar for the first time since March 8th. Fr Benedict was there ahead of me to open up and keep an eye on me as I went through the safety procedures for the first time under the 'new normal' regime. For the most part it was just like any other service I've taken at St John's. It was just a matter of observing anti-contamination measures correctly. It's easy with a few communicants, and would be more difficult on a Sunday with three or four times the number, not to miss anyone out when distributing Communion to people in their places. 

I had resigned myself to not being called upon to take services again, due to my age and vulnerability. The concern has been highlighted by the CofE, but less obviously stated in the Church in Wales. Since I've been back in Wales I've taken two funerals and have a third booked. As long as it's deemed permissible, I am happy to be called upon when need arises. In the meanwhile, I remain content to be a worshipper with the people, instead of always leading the people. My sense of being part of the Body of Christ, and all that it means in relationship to God, has, I think, deepened this past six months of idleness.

Mark arrived and joined us for the service. He said he might come by to check out the venue for a music and iconography project which he and Fran are hoping to put together this autumn. As he was on his way to a gig rehearsal, he had his violin with him, so asked if he's like to play something to test the acoustics, which he then did, playing by heart three different movements from Bach solo instrumental pieces. It was a sweet sound, as the church acoustics are very good, especially with fewer chairs laid out, as is the case at present. What a lovely treat. Fr Benedict was there and when we explained about the project in hand, he expressed his enthusiasm for the idea, especially as it's something that can be done well on a small scale, which is really what's possible under current regulations. Watch this space!

Again, I intended to go shopping in town after lunch, but ended up walking to Splott the other side of the city centre to retrieve the car from its MOT test, once more successfully, thank heavens. It took an hour and twenty minutes to get there, a bit longer than I had expected. I think I was walking slower than usual as my energy level was down. I suspect that I still have a low level wound infection my body is trying to fight off, as I go through periods when I feel tired and foggy, and times when I am my usual self. When I took my blood pressure it was worryingly high, and not much changed from what it was a few weeks ago. After supper I wrote to my GP, to inform her of what's happening, requesting a telephone consultation, and then I took the letter around to the surgery.

It's odd. The afternoon tiredness had worn off, and it was no effort to walk to the surgery and back. When I checked my daily walking distance, I found that I'd walked thirteen and a half kilometres, thirty per cent more than what I usually cover. I simply don't know what to make of this, and hope the doctor will.



No comments:

Post a Comment