Sunday 6 September 2020

Fruitful times

Fr Rhys presided and Fr Benedict preached at the St Catherine's Parish Eucharist this morning. There were twenty eight adults and this week eight children present, two of them on duty at the welcome desk, so very nice to see. Among the produce on sale from the church garden afterwards were apples from the tree that used to be in our garden but never did well. It's bearing much fruit in its new home. We didn't need to buy any however, as Roger gave us an excess of apples and pears a neighbour shared with him. But we did buy some freshly picked cherry tomatoes and a couple of courgettes. 

It's been ideal growing weather this year, a consolation in a time when human life has been disrupted and blighted by covid-19. Our runner bean plants, last to be planted and flourish, have given us enough for several meals, an encouragement to try again next year. Clare's roses have continued to produce beautiful healthy flowers throughout the summer, their colours brightening our lives.

I worked again on the set of six reflections on priesthood which I'm doing for the Parish Facebook page. I done five of them completed, save a final edit and check, and after walking in the parish this afternoon did a draft of a sixth late in the evening before bed. It needs drastic cutting back, but I have a few more days before the deadline to finish the job.  It's time I finished of that first draft of my short story which grew into a full length novel too. 

Perhaps completing one project will spur me on to complete the other, who knows? It's about a man's life and his love of folk music. How will it end? I ask myself. Or at what point can I leave his story unfinished? I heard hat the lady whose funeral I am taking next week, died on her 100th birthday before her greeting card from the Queen arrived. Was she disappointed, or relieved to let go? We may never know.

No comments:

Post a Comment