Monday 11 April 2022

Prime time

I find myself conflicted when my birthday falls in Holy Week. My attention and energy is focussed on the Passion story, whether I'm busy with services to prepare for, or with not much to do and appreciating time in quiet retreat. Family and friends are good at remembering and sending greetings and gifts, and if there's an opportunity, making a little party, but it never feels like the right time. I'd rather postpone everything until after Easter Day, when celebrating feels like something I really want to do. But the cards and calls arrive on time no matter what I think, and from far and wide too. Nice not to be forgotten. 

Seventy seven today - in my prime, seven times eleven - I find it hard to believe I'm that old. I guess I'm fairly fit and well for my age. Only occasionally do I sense my vulnerability and the physical encroachments of age. I'm thankful for all that I have and all that I have experienced, and still open to experience new things, if not chasing hungrily after them. The great sadness for me right now is this war in Ukraine. Nothing like it in Europe in my lifetime, and no idea how this will end.

I worked all day on constructing the master audio file for the Good Friday on-line service. Andrew and Clare recorded scripture readings for me on their phones. Clare and I recorded some material together and there were nine pieces of music. I was pleased to find that the completed article was forty nine minutes long, well within the planned time frame of the original script. Tomorrow I'll put together the audio and visuals and make an uploadable video from them.

Late afternoon I walked into town in search of some herbal remedies for Clare from Neal's Yard. Then, an early supper, so that I could attend Mass at St Luke's. Mother Frances is giving a series of sermons this week around certain 20th century works of art. While a copy of tonight's painting was on display, lack of light and distance from display meant that I couldn't figure out what the subject of the painting was, let alone how this related to her interpretation of it. It was frustratingly out of reach for me. Something to do with age I wonder?

I got home in time for this week's new NCIS episode, then got ready for bed. Just as I got into bed I had a WhatsApp call from Rachel on a bright sunny afternoon in Tempe. Kath and Owain called earlier, and I had a text message from Amanda as well. Whar a lucky guy I am!

No comments:

Post a Comment