Wednesday 24 January 2024

Still progressing, sort of

I had quite a good night's sleep and woke up to a dry, often overcast mild day. I went to the Eucharist at St Catherine's. Bishop Rowan celebrated, there were eleven of us. Afterwards we celebrated Pam's ninetieth birthday with a cake - her fourth this week! Then I collected this week's veggie bag from Chapter on my way home. Clare had prepared the veggies for lunch and asked me to cook the sausages, veggie and pork, to go with them. For once I succeeded in frying both lots without burning any part of them!

I had an email exchange with Basma, which prompted me to explore the idea of recording a series of short catechism talks for her, explaining sections of basic Christian teaching, essential to her preparation for Baptism. We've not been able to meet up as often as possible lately, due to her immobilising herself after a fall and me being less often at St German's. She can repeat the talks without having the text in front of her, or can work from the Gospels in Arabic using a scripture quote I mention. Hopefully this will help.

After lunch I made an example to try out on her, while Clare was out food shopping. Then I went out to do my share of food shopping. Andrew called at the house just after I'd left. Fortunately the shopping list was short and in fifteen minutes I was back at home for what I hope will be a useful chat about handing over Sway in particular. It needs a lay volunteer, or a church administrator - maybe we'll get one of those again now. I don't have to worry about training someone, as Fr Sion Brynach, has skill and experience in this realm, and can do this with a new volunteer once someone has been recruited.

After supper, same old routine. Watching a couple of episodes of 'Bones'. It's a series in which I think the relationships among the team of actors has developed from one series to another. Apart from all the gory action of real life simulated forensic science, there are many quiet moments of serious dialogue between the actors. They're an earnest bunch with different back stories, but they are careful with each other. The flirting is subtle, and there's little sex. There's complex crime solving, but also a compassionate eye on families and the impact a shock bereavement. Shootouts are uncommon. It's not all held together by the military code of honour, despite one of the key roles featuring veteran soldier, an ex sniper. Leroy Jethro Gibbs of NCIS he definitely is not! Often something new to think about, not so formulaic with action packed heroics as NCIS. Easy to go to sleep after.

Before turning in, I filled in the paper version of the driving license renewal application form, ready to take to the Post Office in the morning. It wasn't a happy experience. Too much information crammed into two A4 pages in small sized print. Now that might cause me to lose sleep, wondering if I got it right. I may still be suffering the impact of the operation anaesthetic in a mild way, as thinking straight about things I'm not used to doing is now taking me longer than before. Chemical concussion?

No comments:

Post a Comment