Saturday 20 January 2024

Young blood for Welsh bench of Bishops

I slept in the chair again. The trapped gas in my intestines is moving slowly and painfully. I got up for Saturday pancake breakfast which I enjoyed. Thankfully my digestive system is working normally, but I don't feel like eating a lot because of stomach pain. It was like that all day, although I could feel it gradually moving downwards, with occasional thundery rumbles. I dozed uncomfortably in the chair, ate soup for lunch and a piece of fish and spuds fried in olive oil for supper, or was it the other way round? My memory is a bit slow joining the dots at the moment, and I'm very lethargic, shuffling around like an old man - hell! I am an old man, but don't usually shuffle when I walk.

A Church in Wales press release yesterday announced the appointment of another Assistant Bishop of Bangor to replace our Bishop Mary. At 37, David Morris is the youngest Welsh Bishop. I got to know him in his first postgraduate year of training at St Mike's, a charismatic young man, much appreciated up north where he now works, after being ordained in Llandaff and spending seven years as Vicar of Grangetown.

 On Good Friday 2009, I was invited to preach  the Passion Vigil at St David's Cathedral. I recruited David and two fellow students to conduct the same service at St John's City Parish Church. Peter, the principal at St Mike's was confident they could do well with what was required of them, as all three were very able students. Later, Peter a discerning observer of people said he thought it quite possible David would become a Bishop one day. He was right, here he is! He's taking the title Bishop of Bardsey, a delightful thought, given the association of Ynys Enlli (=Bardsey) with our Celtic Christian history. A cheering thought which got me through a dire day.

No comments:

Post a Comment