Saturday 13 April 2024

A chilly dip

Another night of good sleep, though not enough of it. Breakfast on the terrace in the sun sharing the view was such a pleasure. Then we walked to Nerja along the sea shore, called into the church shop to say Hello and continued with a walk around a town busy with visitors. I took Kath to see the art exhibition I'd visited which I think she appreciated as much as I did and we had a drink at Biznaga in the Plaza de San Salvador. 

A circle of onlookers with mobile phones had gathered in anticipation of a wedding taking place. A guard of honour was lined up of Guardia Civil officers in ceremonial dress uniforms wearing their  antiquated tricorn hats and carrying swords. I wonder what el Caudillo would think of today mixed gender squad of officers on parade?

In the Plaza de Espana behind the Ajuntamiento, a Saturday market was being held, with mainly craft craftsmen and jewellers presenting their wares, high quality tasteful locally made artifacts. A smaller scale version of the one at Muele Uno in Malaga Puerto, perhaps a bit more upmarket, as befits Nerja's tourism offer.

On completing our town tour, we walked back, and I cooked us a quick lunch using a can of precooked lentils spuds and beans. At half past three we ate, on the balcony again, in the sun. Later on, Kath went for a dip in the garden pool, still cold enough to raise a howl of protest, but she swam around for five minutes once she'd immersed herself. I don't bring a swimming costume any more. Such discomfort doesn't appeal to me.

I had my sermon to finish and some other writing to complete, and it was gone six when we drove to Aldi's for more wine and food to see us through the rest of the weekend, including big tuna steaks for a late Sunday lunch. I made a salad with potato, onion, tomato, olives and tinned tuna, with olive oil and balsamic vinegar for a light supper when we returned. A pleasure to prepare, a pleasure to eat. Finally, a chat with Clare on WhatsApp, printing tomorrow's sermon, then preparing for the coming day going to bed early.


No comments:

Post a Comment