Tuesday 30 April 2024

Another lunch in Frigiliana

After a longer night's sleep I woke up refreshed to bright sunshine, and we were able to have breakfast on the balcony again. Then we set out for Frigiliana, visiting a gas station on the way to refuel and be sure of enough for the run to the airport and back tomorrow when I take Ann for her flight to Stanstead. I've used thirty litres in three weeks I've been here, but no idea of my actual mileage as I didn't make a note of it.

I dropped off the girls at the Frigiliana main coach stop and parked at the roadside about 400 metres up the bypass road where there's no charge. Then we walked slowly along the main street as far as the Plaza de la Iglesia where we had a drink in El Conventillo cafe restaurant, with tables in the square. As the name suggests, the building was once used to house a group of religious sisters who assisted in parish pastoral care. The village church of San Antonio de Padua, sits above the square. It dates from 1676 and is typical of the regional architecture of this period. It's located on the edge of the oldest part of the moorish quarter, with all its wonderful steep side streets, and glimpses of the landscape across the valley below.

We had lunch at the restaurant La Bodeguilla where I took Kath during her visit, then browsed in the small shops along the main street on our way back to the car. I stopped to browse in a prominent Bodega and bought a bottle of locally made Dry Muscat wine - 15% alcohol, not fortified, tasting as as strong as if it was, as much of vine stems as the grape itself. Interesting. We called into Aldi's on the home run for bananas, olives, crisps and ordinary white table wine!

The girls had a swim when we got back and I drafted a Reflection for Morning Prayer on Ascension Day. Then I cooked pasta with chick peas in a veggie sauce for supper. Afterwards I went for a walk as far as I could uphill to complete my daily quota, as the sun was setting. On one of the high ridges a car was parked which had a roof rack tent on top, accessed by a ladder, an unusual piece of kit. I just can't imagine sleeping on a car roof, 350 metres above sea level on an exposed ridge. Imagine what would happen in a strong wind!



No comments:

Post a Comment