Thursday 4 April 2024

Penultimate preparations for travel

I woke up at half past seven, posted today's Morning Prayer link to WhatsApp, and carried on sleeping until nearly nine. I had trouble getting to sleep to start with as a muscle in my right shoulder blade was tensing up and threatening to take my shoulder into spasm. Something misaligned I guess. Eventually I found a way to lie on my back and give just enough support to the shoulder blade to prevent it happening and then I was able to fall asleep quickly, with no further ill-effect during the night.

After breakfast I went to St John's and celebrated the Eucharist for just three of the regulars. The husband of another regular we haven't seen recently died yesterday. That's why we've not seen her. We had coffee afterwards and Ruth presented me with a chocolate caterpillar shaped cake in anticipation of my birthday next week. That was a surprise! Yesterday I received a birthday card she'd sent - an 80th birthday card. She had been misinformed by someone of my current age. We enjoyed a laugh about it. I shall keep it until next year.

On return home, I cooked sardines and veg for lunch, then caught a bus into town, to hunt for a new pair of sandals and a pair of lightweight trousers to take with me to Spain. I got  sandals at Sketchers, half the price I paid last time. After much rummaging through packed trouser rails in Mountain Warehouse, got a half price pair very similar to ones I wear every day. As I have lost weight, and there was no cloth tape measure in the shop (can you believe it?) to check my waist size and knowing that I have lost weight I guessed correctly the size I needed, and now have a new pair to wear while travelling that will stay up without a belt when passing through airport security

Later in the afternoon I had a text message about booking a covid vaccination later this month. I rang up try and arrange another for when I return, but have to call back tomorrow to rearrange a date, either when I return at the end of my stay, or maybe when I return mid-May with Clare. Some with the MRI scan I'm due too. The NHS system doesn't allow for re-scheduling beyond eight weeks.

After supper, I worked on next Thursday's Morning Prayer and reflection, then recorded and edited it. My Post Office Money card needed topping up with Euros. I couldn't recall how much I added to the card last year, and was annoyed to find information from last year was no longer available. Having had a most frustrating time with the Post Office Travel Card app when I tried it several times earlier in the year, as it wasn't working properly after an upgrade, I tried it again, and it gave me a undesired security run-around before letting me in, but now it does work, and I have been able to add a sum to it, so that I have an alternative to my Santander debit and credit cards. 

I also wanted to get the EasyJet app to deliver me a QR code for Google Wallet to use instead of a piece of paper when I enter departures at Bristol airport. This app also gave me a security run-around before it delivered what I wanted. My paper coach ticket has a QR code on it, and the phone has two scanning apps, but frustratingly these deliver only pdf files which you then have to convert to jpeg photo format. Fine if you can get a clear focussed scan to start with, which I didn't. I had to rely on the camera to take a jpeg photo of the QR code on the paper ticket, and then edit it to exclude from the photo areas which weren't part of the code, as this generates errors and Google Wallet isn't fault tolerant. So much for AI. There's nothing smart about these fiddly procedures unfortunately.

Anyway those tasks are done now. All I need now is to select clothes and pack them tomorrow, after a good night's sleep.


No comments:

Post a Comment