Monday 22 April 2024

Familiar accents

A mild changeable day of clouds and sunshine. After breakfast I did a load of washing then I spent the morning recording and editing audio - somewhat challenging as I was interrupted a few times by noise in a usually quiet house, so had to stitch several pieces of audio together to complete the job. In the afternoon I drove to Aldi's to stock up with food, as Clare and Ann arrive tomorrow. 

In front of me at the check-out, a group of women of a certain age stocking up with great excitement, apparently unfamiliar with the currency. All had strong South Wales accents. They were still outside with their purchases when I left, talking about getting a taxi back to where they're staying. I asked them where they were from, and I learned they were from Port Talbot, and for most of them it was the first trip abroad, for a girls' weekend in a 'private villa'. They were curious about me too, and teased me when I reluctantly admitted that I'm a cleric working here.

It was evening by the time I was ready to go out for a walk. On the cliff edge near the Mirador de Guilches I spotted for the second time recently in the same place, a blue rock thrush perched on a piece of iron mesh. This time it stayed long enough for me to get a photo.


Just after I got back to the house, I noticed the rising nearly full so called 'pink' moon visible above the sea horizon at the end of the valley, a lovely sight.

After supper I walked up the hill to see the moon again from on high, with its light shining on the water. Unfortunately the phone's camera didn't do justice to the view. And so to bed.


No comments:

Post a Comment