Sunday 6 October 2024

Wet Sunday writing

Overcast again today, and with the lengthening of the nights, if I do wake up early I'm more likely to doze off and wake up properly even later. Quarter past nine this morning but I felt better for a full eight and a quarter hours of sleep. Days when I feel extremely tired for no obvious reason are those following a run of seven hours sleep. I don't think the fit-bit is all that accurate when it comes to evaluating quality of sleep, but generally speaking my sleep quality doesn't seem to vary a great deal. I think the extra tiredness is due a need for more physical rest and relaxation than I get, given that I'm fairly physically and mentally active much of the time. There's too much to get done to stay inert for long. I have slowed down, but need more rest in order to avoid feeling drained and physically stiff all over. Navigating old age isn't as easy as it seems, post three score years and ten.

Clare also woke up very late this morning and couldn't summon enough energy to get ready in time to go to church, so she stayed behind while I went to St Catherine's for the Eucharist. I caught up on food-bank shopping at the Co-op after the service and took a bagful back to church, aware that Jean was loading her car with offerings to deliver to the depot in Splott tomorrow. Lots more donations expected next week on Harvest Festival Sunday, and hopefully another car load. The need isn't diminishing. The cost of food and instability in basic energy costs, are hitting many people on fixed incomes really hard.

After lunch it rained persistently for the next four hours. Clare went out for a walk in the wet. I couldn't face it, so I stayed in and added to my story all afternoon until the rain slowed to a drizzle. Once I was out in the park, the rain stopped and the afternoon sun shone brightly. Rain dripping from the trees glistened in an enchanting way the fields looked fresh and bright, such a contrast to earlier in the day.

I continued writing after supper right through the evening until it was bed time, pleased with the progress I made. I didn't complete my daily walk target however, having been too caught up in writing to remember to go out for a breath of fresh air before bed. It's the first time I've done that in ages. 

No comments:

Post a Comment