Sunday, 4 October 2026

Harvest anniversaries

I had a surprisingly good night's sleep, getting up to empty my bladder fewer times than has been habitual. I wonder if it means my body has eliminated the toxic traces of the medication that irritated my digestive system for such a long time? I certainly felt clear headed with more energy when we set out for church.

Harvest Festival at St Catherine's this morning with a portion of the Harvest altar 'shewbread' (as Charlie Smith used to call it, back in St Paul's days) consecrated for Communion. After the service, a festive glass of bubbly and piece of cake was offered in the church hall to celebrate three golden wedding anniversaries taking place among church congregation members this autumn. I came home carrying a bag of tomatoes and runner beans from the church garden. Clare bought a jar of chutney as well.

We had swordfish steaks for lunch with spinach spuds and carrots. I felt sleepy and light headed after we'd eaten for no apparent reason and dozed for an hour before going out for a walk in Llandaff Fields. It's been overcast all day with a cold wind from the west. I wouldn't be surprised to see most of the leaves turn colour in the next few days instead of just the few that have turned brown or gold and dropped already. Some leaves still hanging are dark green, tinged with brown, scorched by the summer's fierce heat. Photos I take don't really do justice to the rich variety of colour the eye can see.

Yemen's Saudi backed government is counter attacking Iran backed Houthi militia which have seized control of the country's coastline and control access to the Red Sea waterway. The Houtis have also hit and damaged a Saudi oil refinery in Riyad. Iran is attacking marine traffic through the Straight of Hormuz and will only negotiate with America on terms agreed in June's Memorandum of Understanding. Both Trump and the war are increasingly unpopular in the United States. Lack of progress towards peace and the cost to the economy will influence the outcome of the mid-term elections and control of the Senate. No amount of cheer leading from Trump and his associates can make up for their failure to end the war they started. Middle Eastern countries have been hit hard by the escalation of the conflict because of their alliance with the United States. The relationship between Gulf States and America may change significantly as a result.

After supper I watched the latest episode of 'Winter'. I have to wait until Wednesday for the next. That's enough watching for today anyway.



No comments:

Post a Comment