Friday 4 March 2011

A grandpa's life

Wednesday, I celebrated the midweek Eucharist at 'the Res' in honour of St David. Thursday I was at St John's Canton celebrating their midweek Eucharist. Again we honoured St David our patron saint. And why not? It's a moment in the year everyone in Wales has memories of, and wants to enjoy for whatever reason.

Afterwards, I took the train to Coventry, where Kath collected me for an overnight babysitting session with Rhiannon, as their band 'Lament' had an evening gig. Together we collected Rhiannon from school, then they left for the gig. I helped Rhiannon with her homework, and taught her a little about magnetism before making supper. She seemed pleased to have me looking after her for a change. After supper we watched a video of 'The Jungle Book', and she snuggled up beside me, and watched intently. Having joined the Cubs when I was rising ten, the characters of the story were familiar to me, so I was able to talk about them with her - very much part of my childhood too.

Kath took me back to Coventry station to start my journey home after breakfast and the walk to school first thing. By half past two I was back in the office, updating records of the past couple of days for a couple of hours. But, with opera on the menu for tonight, I was home by teatime, ready to take Clare and Auntie Daphne to the Millennium Centre for Verdi's 'Il Travatore'.

The production was drab and minimalist, but the singing was superb, particularly the female leads. We had seats in the front row overlooking the orchestra pit. It's not perfectly comfortable for viewing both stage and sur-title screen, but it's certainly a place where it's easy to stay fully awake, with so much to see, so close.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment