Wednesday 9 March 2011

Lent begins

Yesterday morning I took Clare to an appointment for an osteopathy treatement in the Beechwood area on the far side of Newport from here. The traffic wasn't too bad so we were punctual. Conditions are slowly improving along the M4 around Newport, with an end to the extended road works in sight at last. While I waited, I walked up the hill to Beechwood Park - somewhere I didn't even know existed until Kay, our osteopath recommended a visit.

There's a Victorian mansion astride a hill top overlooking a  park down the steep valley with fine trees dropping away to the south side overlooking the city. On the hilltop behind the mansion there are various sports and leisure facvilties. All is well maintained by the Newport Borough Council. The mansion appears to be used as a conference centre, and there are several small business 'incubator' units in the outhouses, plus a cafe, which wasn't open by the time I arrived. As the weather was crisp and fine, I did half an hour's Chi Gung in a secluded corrner after my walk around, an excellent start to the day. I worked in the office all afternoon, then headed over to St Mary's Church Hall in Poncanna for a Chi Gung class before going home to enjoy pancakes with Clare.

Today I took both the Ash Wednesday services at 'the Res'. This must be the first year I can recall in decades when I haven't had to provide and prepare Ashes for the penitential rite of the day, often at the last minute. In places where I've worked it's been something left for the Vicar to arrange. But, with Jan on sick leave, everyone responsible for keeping 'the Res' running makes sure everything is sorted for visiting clerics. A pleasant change. There were eighteen of us at both services, a different eighteen, I should add. I was pleased to see people departing full of good cheer. If I can, I like to encourage people to see Lent in a positive light, always remembering that God's graciousness and compassion always outshines our weakness and failure.

No comments:

Post a Comment