Wednesday 13 April 2011

Afterthought

Off to Pontyclun this morning for the fifth and final in my series of Lent talks on the Exodus journey to a two dozen strong appreciative mid-week Communion congregation. At the end, Grace the Vicar asked I could also return next week, as it was Holy Week. Originally I thought I might be away in Holy Week and so had only arranged to do the five Lenten addresses, but as our plans have changed, I agreed. When reviewing my final address I found that there was one detail I'd not been able to weave in to my addresses - the story of the serpent in the wilderness (Numbers 21:7-9), cited by Jesus in John 3:14 as he foresaw his Passion. So I won't find myself wrestling for something relevant to say. It's nice to be asked. 

The thought of not preaching on Good Friday and Easter Day is very strange to me - possibly the only time when I've not done so in forty four preaching years was the time we went to Taizé en famille, while I was working for USPG. As nobody manages or oversees the offerings of ministry by retired and supernumerary clergy - in this, the church is very much a free enterprise zone, despite being a highly centralised economy in other respects - perhaps I should make it known that I am available, just in case there's someone who is trying to cope with too many services in a short space of time.


No comments:

Post a Comment