Sunday 10 April 2011

Another Vale visit

Thanks to habit of starting the day with a few Chi Gung exercises, the after effects of yesterday's cycle ride were far more muted than I feared, and just as well, as I had an early start to get to the Cowbridge Benefice Parish of St Marychurch by nine fifteen to celebrate and preach. I had to pick up petrol en route and this proved to be a bit of a nightmare, as I had to queue at the Culverhouse Corss Tesco filling station to use one of the only pair of pumps in use, the other six being locked out of service and the kiosk closed. Thankfully I had enough time in hand so this didn't make me late, only nervous.

The thirteenth century Parish Church of the Annunciation, remodelled in the nineteenth century, is sited on top of a hill in the village of St Marychurch. It has a characteristically Celtic circular churchyard called a 'Llan' in Welsh, probably the Christianisation of an even more ancient sacred site.


After ministering to the congregation of fifteen at St Marychurch, I drove back through Cowbridge town and out on to the westward road to get to Penllyn's Parish Church of St John the Evangelist, to minister to another congregation of fifteen. This church is sited at the village entrance to Penllyn Castle, home for many generations of the Homfray family, whose memorial cover the walls, many of them military men. The well appointed church building dates from 1850 rebuilt on the site of an older Chapel of Ease. 

In a location more remote from Penllyn village, reached across fields, is a thirteenth century Church dedicated to St Brynach a sixth century Irish saint reputed to be its founder, although his name is more associated with Pembrokeshire. It is only used for worship occasionally, due to its remoteness, and problems with access and maintenance dating back three hundred years, though its ancient churchyard remains the Parish burial ground. All this I found out from my history reference book of mediaeval Vale churches when I returned home. I'll have to take another trip out there some time, and see if I can find it.

No comments:

Post a Comment