Saturday 23 April 2011

Easter Eve

Getting a sermon ready for tomorrow occupied much of my quiet day, both in the morning and in the late evening when I returned from taking part in the Easter Vigil at St German's.  I took great pleasure in singing the Exultet, and not having responsibility for any of the planning or organisation. 

I love the Vigil, and for most of my ministry I've worked in churches where this event has not been fully adopted by the majority of parishioners, so it's been attended by small numbers, with few servers and other assistants to make it run well. This meant I had to lead from the front, rather than the liturgy being run by a team working together to make it happen. There we thirty people there including four clerics and half a dozen servers used to working together on grand occasions of this kind, so it was a lovely occasion  to share, with many active participants in which relaxed and enjoyed worship doing something which for me is very precious. Beforehand, I had time to sit quietly and savour the moment. What could be better?

The service started well before sunset out of practical necessity, with the blessing of the fire and paschal candle outside in the church garden. It was lovely to see the evening sunlight stream into the church during the Liturgy of the Word, and paint everything in a golden hue. By the time the Vigil ended, darkness had fallen, and the east window floodlights were back-lighting the high altar and candle filled chancel. There's an Easter garden in the nave surrounding the Paschal candle, made of soil and stones and filled with pots of spring flowers of many colours, a real labour of love on someone's part.

I returned home very content with such a full and varied week, doing things I love best of all.

No comments:

Post a Comment