Wednesday 31 July 2013

Family visit

Kath and Rhiannon arrived for an overnight stay at lunchtime yesterday. We walked over to Bute Park, enjoying the sunshine, to visit the new fitness trail installations and provide an opportunity for mother and daughter to try them out. Everything I tried defeated me. My balance skills are lousy these days but at least I got some nice photos.
This morning the weather wasn't so good, so we headed for the National Museum of Wales and did a kids exploration trail, taking us through several galleries, laid out now in an imaginative way to showcase a variety of informative exhibits. A great asset for the summer holidays. The place was crowded, with even more parents and children than tourists - a credit to the Museum's education programme. It was lovely to share this palace of wonders with Rhiannon.

Sixty years ago it was part of my childhood discovery of the wider world, in an era that had far less money to invest in the learning potential of so many remarkable historic and scientific artifacts. Only a few weeks ago, Kath took Rhiannon to the British Museum in London - they often visit London for a day outing from Kenilworth. I was four years older than Rhiannon before I made my first trip to London by train from Cardiff on my own to see my sister June. I'm not sure how safe it would be considered for a thirteen year old to do that trip in our current climate of insecurity today.
   

No comments:

Post a Comment