Sunday 28 July 2013

Of eels and otters

Just one service today, or so I thought, having forgotten to look at my diary before retiring last night. I was down to do the eight o'clock at St John's on my way to Llandough, and as a result completely forgot, although I was up in good time and ready to go. How annoyed with myself I was when Clare told me later. I'll have to apologise personally when I go there on Thursday to take their midweek Eucharist.

It's fifteen months since I was last at Llandough. I didn't remember that tea and Welsh cakes are served here after the Eucharist, so it was a pleasant surprise, and provided an opportunity to chat with the group of eight faithful worshippers present. I talked with two of the men about the return of eels to the river Thaw running along the valley below the village and church. Eels are abundant in the turbid tidal waters of the Severn Estuary. Good to know the story doesn't stop there. They also spoke about local fishermen seeing otters again. They have resumed residence in this vicinity, several miles inland from the sea. These are signs of a well cared for environment, appreciated as much by residents as visitors.

I picked up Clare from St Catherine's to go to the Riverside Market, and the heavens opened on us just as we arrived. Clare got wet despite being well prepared with a mac and an umbrella. I improvised a late lunch when we returned, making use of the rest of yesterday's home made pasta.  Then I had another go at picking my bike lock, again with no success. Finally I drilled out the barrel of the lock and knocked it apart with a hammer and chisel, having decided that I'd wasted too much time on a lock that was still and difficult to open, even with a key. The bike has now gone back to the shed for safe keeping until I can get a new lock for it.
 
The rest of the day was very lazy and dozy, apart from watching a re-run of WAL-E on the telly. A fond parody of all that's best and worst about 20th century America, with homage paid to so many other movies - so clever.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment