Sunday 14 July 2013

A day on the road

I celebrated the Eucharist at Llansannor and then Ystradowen this morning. As it's the holiday season, numbers were down in both places, eight and fifteen. I arrived with plenty of time to spare at Ystradowen, and walked up on to the huge tree clad mound to the west of the church, which conceals the remains of a modest ruined fortified building dating back into the early middle ages. It's a quiet beautiful spot, just perfect for ten minutes Chi Gung before engaging again in worship. The regular church organist was playing once more, having returned from a couple of months in Malaysia as a music examiner.

After lunch, I drove Clare to Westbury on Trym to attend her monthly study group, then drove on down the M5 to Bleadon Hill to see Sister Pauline and Brother in Law Geoff for an hour. Inexplicably, arriving and returning I last my way, having missed crucial turnings. I guess I don't come down this way often enough nowadays. Next time I'll check the map first. My memory isn't quite as reliable as it needs to be, and with the passage of time, the appearance of places and road layouts changes, making the familiar less than familiar.

I was late picking Clare up, and unable to warn her as I'd left both mobile phones at home, and was doubly annoyed with myself. Nevertheless, we called in on Amanda and James in order to wish James a happy birthday. He's seventeen on Tuesday, and now an inch taller than me - a lad to be proud of. We didn't stop long on this occasion, as James had guests of his own, so were home again by nine. I was glad to relax after a hundred and fifty mile round trip on top of Sunday duties.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment