Monday 25 November 2013

RIP Sir John Tavener

Another gloriously clear cool blue sky day - just perfect to do some washing and take advantage of a little breeze and sunlight. Along with other household tasks, and drafting next Sunday's sermon, the morning sped by, and after a snack lunch I headed for the church office to send some emails.

As I was browsing the news I discovered that the composer Sir John Tavener died ten days ago. Despite watching TV news twice a day, I hadn't heard this at all, although I recall listening to part of a HardTalk interview he gave on Talk Radio Europe, how recently it was given, I don't know, but it was wonderful to hear this great master of music with a truly spiritual dimension speak confidently and unapologetically about his religious faith, and of how he had in later years opened himself up to the riches of other world faiths without giving up on the Christian Orthodox belief he'd held for thirty five years. I found him as inspirational as any religious leader in his witness to spirituality and faith in defiance of trends in the modern world. May he rest in peace and rise in glory!

Before skyping Clare at tea time, I walked the eight kilometres to the far end of town and back, and while I was down at the far end, I took a photo of the mosque from an angle I'd missed before.
One of these days I must make the effort to see the Bhuddist temple which stands out in the distance on the hill overlooking Torreblanca. Another interesting indication of modern Andalusia's cultural diversity.

Prompted by Clare I spent the evening on a first draft of our annual Christmas newsletter, issued every year since I went to St Michael's College in 1967. By co-incidence the 2012 edition I looked at for reference was dated this day last year, just before I set out for locum duty in Sicily. I didn't keep copies of this newsletter until I first went digital 25 years ago. I wonder if anyone out there has kept them? If so, it would be an interesting summary to read.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment