Sunday 17 November 2013

The world is a handkerchief

Another dawn obscured by cloud, but by the time I left to drive to Benalmádena for the first Eucharist of the day, the sky was clear and bright. Remembering my way there driving on my own was only problematic in the last half kilometre when I missed a turning and went too far uphill, but I was able to loop back at the next turning and arrive at the church from above rather than below. This week I remembered to take a photo of the chapel of St José in the undercroft of the main church. Behind me, where I stood to take the photo, is a door leading to 'columbarium' room, whose walls are lined with niches containing cremated remains. St José is patron saint of the dying, if I remember aright.
Apart from this the undercroft has an extensive suite of offices and rooms for community use and catechism classes, and an entrance on to the street down the hill. The chapel has its own entrance, down a flight of steps from the side. There were twenty two worshippers present, and I was sorry not to be able to join them for coffee, as once again I needed to be sure to return to Los Boliches in good time.

At St Andrew's there were thirty seven of us, and there was a spontaneous round of applause when it was announced that over €1,200 had been raised at yesterday's Fair. A remarkable achievement which had everyone smiling. During the service I was greeted with 'Bore Da' by an American who lives in Dinas Powis, who happens to be visiting here this week. Peter said to me: "As the Spanish say: 'El mundo es un pañuelo' - the world is a handkerchief."

When the congregation had departed, I skyped Clare and Rhiannon from the church office, and caught up on this blog before heading home for a very late lunch - should be call it 'tunch' maybe (tea+lunch)? Three Sundays gone by and my stay is half way over already. When I return in January, the familiarity I've gained with the place and people will make it all the more enjoyable to be here.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment