Wednesday 13 November 2013

Word play

I arrived at St Andrew's at 8.30am this morning to say Matins with Jim, then celebrate a BCP Communion for ten people. Afterwards, I chatted with people assembled for the midweek coffee morning and sale, and before I knew it, lunchtime had arrived, so I went back to the apartment, and spent more time working on a poetic meditation I started to create during the quiet hour at yesterday's Day of Prayer.

When I was sitting in the shade of the garden's fig tree (where better to follow Nathaniel's example?), first I wondered about trying to make a sketch, but then fell back, as I usually do, on playing with words. I had the idea to trying to write something with structure, rather than habitual free verse. So I attempted to discipline my thoughts to eight syllables a line, though I'm not sure it has the consistent rhythm it needs to work when spoken aloud. Still, practice makes perfect. It's nice to have the time and freedom for this.
   

No comments:

Post a Comment