Sunday 25 May 2014

Rogation Sunday

This morning I was back on duty for the first time since returning from Spain a month ago. Fortunately I felt well enough to cope with, and enjoy celebrating and preaching at two Eucharists for the East Vale group of churches, at Peterston and St Brides - both of them 'super Ely'. It's exactly six months since I was last there, on the Sunday before I went out to Spain. I enjoyed reporting back on just a little of my experience of the Malaga Semana Santa processions, before talking about the meaning of Rogationtide processions in Britain. Charmingly, the weekly service leaflet of the day at St Brides had a colour photo on the front of such a procession, taken somewhere in the parish at some time in the past. I wish I'd remembered to ask who the parson was, featured in the photo.

With an early start, and a fifteen minute drive, the first service being at nine and the next at ten thirty, I was home before noon, but in need of an horizontal siesta later on. We've decided on an early start tomorrow for our journey to Snowdonia for a half term stay at Trigonos, in Dyffryn Nantlle, so I spent part of the evening packing equipment books and clothes to make the place a home from home to venture from to visit interesting photogenic National Trust properties, hitherto unexplored by us. I just hope the weather won't be too daunting. But I'm taking three books to read in case it rains enough to make excursions unattractive.

No comments:

Post a Comment