Sunday 14 April 2019

Holy Week here at home

After a slow morning start, yesterday, I drove to Penarth. It's the first we've been there since our first outing with our new VW Polo last September. We had fish and chips al fresco from a booth by the pier, then walked along the coast path, almost as far as Lavernock Head. It was another bright sunny day, even if rather cool for mid-April. How good to be out and about, walking in familiar lovely places again! I watched this week's double episode of 'Follow the Money' in bed again. It certainly holds one's interest. I think i even care about it's two main characters - the baddie and the goodie, both flawed and weak in their own ways, driven their contradicting goals in life.

This morning I presided over the St Catherine's Palm Sunday Eucharist, with two dozen children and over fifty adults. The processions was only around the interior of the church, but it gave me a small opportunity to start the service by teaching the kids to sign the 'Ho-ho-ho Hosanna' chorus to get the liturgy started. And we sang it again at the end when they returned from their Sunday Club outing. I enjoyed the playfulness of this encounter, as it contrasted with an attentive dialogue Passion reading. The adults seemed happy and at ease with this. Perhaps because they know they don't have to put up with me every Sunday!

In the afternoon, Clare went to Bristol for her study group, and I languished in bed after my clinic visit, disinclined to go walking, happy to listen to a succession of Passiontide concerts broadcasted live from Riga, Copenhagen and Prague, while looking through my Semana Santa Palm Sunday photos from Malaga one year and three weeks ago. I also found the live feed for the processions broadcast on the internet from a Malaga TV channel. I'm set up for the week now. If I can't be there to enjoy it all over again, I can peep from a distance, hear the distinctive sounds, catch memorable images, and maybe even get a better sense of the routes used with an overview.

No comments:

Post a Comment