Tuesday 30 April 2019

Disconcerting news

I was saddened to learn yesterday evening that Malaga is soon to be without a priest again, as things didn't work out for Fr Paul with the congregations there, so he's moving to Gran Canaria next month. After such high hopes of a new beginning last Pentecost, this is a crushing blow for the church there. Fifteen months ago it was suggested that I might go there for an interim year of ministry to help the church move on from a succession of shortened ministries and long interregna. A part of me regrets not taking up this idea. At present I'm not in a position offer them any kind of help, which adds to the regret. Well, I can still pray for the resurgence of new life despite everything going on.

I had an email from Emma today asking if I could do a funeral in two weeks time, when she and all the serving clergy of the diocese are at Clergy School in Santiago de Compostela. This takes 'Pilgrimage' as its theme, though why it's necessary to fly everyone to Spain for a few days for this when you could do the same at St Beuno's in Denbighshire or St David's in Pembrokeshire puzzles me. This comes as Parliament debates the global climate change emergency and people are on the streets protesting that not enough is being done in response to the crisis of this magnitude. Increasing the diocesan carbon footprint to such an extent won't do anything to enhance the credibility of the church at this moment in history. I see it as a spectacular own goal.

Emma told me that the appointment process to find a new Team Rector was unsuccessful and will have to be run again. So the interregnum is now set to continue into the autumn. She also asked me to do a Christening at St Luke's next month, on the day of the Benefice Confirmation service. It's one of those situations when it's not practical to do this during a main service. I'm happy to help out with this. This a rare treat for me these days. I did one last summer in Montreux, and one the previous autumn in Villars, and before that, I cannot recall.

It was otherwise a routine day, with a visit to the wound clinic, the weekly grocery shopping to do, and bereavement visit arrangements to make. I needed extra rest too, as the weekend's travel drained my reserves. I still can't get used to this, and hope it's nothing more than a consequence of on-going wound healing.
   

No comments:

Post a Comment