Wednesday 3 April 2019

Digital bemusement

I had a clinic visit yesterday morning and was seen by one of the regular nurses who's been on leave for a couple of weeks, so she observed a significant difference in my wound condition, and hoped this bode well for Thursday's surgery. It's thanks to her and a dozen or so of her colleagues treating me since Boxing Day last that I've recovered this well with no significant setback. What lies ahead is far from certain, and depends on Mrs Cornish the surgeon.

After siesta, another walk around Pontcanna fields with my DSLR. It was colder and quite cloudy with intermittent rain, which made for interesting landscape shots. A quiet evening without telly.

This morning, I celebrated the Eucharist with seven others at St Catherine's. We talked a little about the interviews for the Team Rector job, due to take place this time next week. We've no idea about who the candidates are, only that a lot of interest has been shown in the job.

Somewhat belatedly, I saw a belated April Fool's spoof article in my newsfeed. It was a clever satire on the common style of digital camera review journalism, featuring a Minolta Dimage V from 1996. Its range of features was described enthusiastically and critiqued as if it was a recent state of the art camera, and it actually made amusing reading. Talking of newsfeeds, over this last week or so I've noticed a sharp increase in the number of articles in Spanish from Malaga news sources. It's really useful for improving my reading comprehension ability, as well as interesting, and I get reports of things going on in the city, including news of Semana Santa preparations. 

Why this should suddenly start to happen now makes me wonder what's going on. I went to Malaga for a last locum stint there at the beginning of March last year, and at that time began to get local Spanish news articles displayed. This stopped some time after I returned home at Pentecost. Strange to say but I didn't get that much contextual news in French any time I was in Montreux. And now I'm at home, and not in either place. What's this all about I wonder? 

Late afternoon, I went into the city centre to take photos of the progress in demolishing St David's House. Comparing these with ones taken last Friday is interesting. Superficially it seems as if little progress has been made in the three working days since then. Hollowing out the interior has to be done very carefully, before the external wall twenty metres from the brand new HMRC building can be pulled down into the void created. Being pushed outwards and collapsing would be an expensive disaster in the making. I imagine the demolition experts wishing they could have started the job a good year earlier, while the HMRC building was still no more than a neighbouring steel skeleton. Timing on such a major project is so complex and very difficult to get perfect in such a tight space. 

Ashley called as I was taking photos, and as he was also in town and nearby, we went to John Lewis' for a cup of tea and an hour's catch up chat before heading home in time for the Archers, supper and early bed, so I can be up in time for a very early breakfast before fasting for surgery, and not for Lent this year!

No comments:

Post a Comment