Sunday 23 February 2020

Opera Matinee

I celebrated the Eucharist and preached at St Dyfrig and Samson's church this morning  at nine. This week I wasn't caught out by the different lectionary usage, as I was last week, having made a note the Ordinary time Sunday it is in the Roman lectionary is used. The Revised Common Lectionary has Transfiguration as its theme, one with which I am probably over familiar having got married on the August feast day, and having this on the Sunday before Lent for the past twenty five years. So, it gave me an opportunity to work with a different set of texts with the theme of fulfilling God's Law, Holiness and Perfection. I quite enjoyed that.

At lunchtime we drove down the Bay to met Martin and Chris for lunch at Ffresh in the Millennium Centre before a four o'clock performance of 'The Marriage of Figaro'. I think the production was a new one, as the scenery was abstract rather than naturalist, albeit the costumes were period pieces of the 18th century. It was beautifully sung by all the performers, and played for humorous content. I think the translated surtitles had a freshness about them. The movement and body language of the cast brought out the farcical nature of the script. Conductor Carlo Rizzi waved the WNO orchestra along at a very breezy but smooth pace, giving it an added dimension of vitality. The slow lyrical sections were played just right to let them breathe with emotion. Mozart would have been delighted,
What a lovely treat to share with two good friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment