Thursday 6 February 2020

Endless waiting

I celebrated the Eucharist at St Catherine's yesterday morning. On my return I found an email from the hospital patient care coordinator confirming in writing what was said to me on the phone about a thirty six week queue for minor surgery, and appointment notifications only being sent out six weeks before the due date. In terms of patient care this a scandalous. 

There's no way of knowing or planning anything ahead. In the last couple of weeks the general improvement in the condition of the wound is making it easier to live with, and I feel confident I could manage abroad and not get into trouble with it. It's just not having any idea of which period between now and summer to avoid being away. I want to book Clare and I on a cruise in late April , but dare I? I must be here first week in May when I'm booked to baptise the son of PCSO Andy and his wife Michelle at St German's.

It looks as if the only recourse I have now is to pay for surgery. That way at least I can have a definite appointment date to work around. Meanwhile, I continue to scan old photo negatives to take my mind off the whole affair.

This morning I celebrated the Eucharist at St John's, then wrote a letter to Mrs Cornish the surgeon to communicate directly to her the impact of this affair on my life and work, and saying yet again that being put into a position of not knowing is driving me to take the private option. I don;t know whether I will get any response, but we'll see. I also wrote to my GP, giving an account of all that has happened since last November - I don't think I have been to see her since then, as I've not needed to. I feel I need to seek advice about foreign travel at this stage before going any further. I'm supposed to be in Ibiza a month from now. If I have to cancel, I shouldn't leave it any longer for their sakes.

I'm also waiting for both my Llandaff and European CRB checks to deliver, so that my PRO can be renewed. I know these are being processed, as I've been informed, with the exception of the Spanish police check, which is still 'in the wind'. At least if it doesn't arrive in time for Ibiza, I'll be granted a temporary limited PTO to cover me, so I've been told.

I've been enjoying my afternoon walks this week as the weather has been mild and sunny. Sunset is no around quarter past five, which gives extra time in the daylight outdoors before supper. The first snowdrops are out and daffodils appearing everywhere. So early.


No comments:

Post a Comment