Monday 17 February 2020

Flood aftermath

News stories this morning are telling of floods due to the exceptional rains of this past couple of days. Not just in Pontcanna Fields and Bute Park, but of homes inundated in Llandaff North, Nantgarw and in my home town of Ystrad Mynach where the river Rhymney burst its banks, according to reports appearing on Facebook. The waters have subsided fairly quickly, but the damage is done.

This afternoon I did some food shopping and then walked down to Blackweir Bridge and along the riverside footpath. There's still a big pond of water trapped on the upper playing field level. Hundreds of gulls, crows and starlings are on the ground in the vicinity of the water, the grass is stained with brown sediment carried there by the flood water. There must also be organic matter as well, which could explain why birds congregate there to forage, without fighting for space, or foraging in separate groups as they usually do. That's the only reason I can think of anyway.

This evening I drove to Dinas Powis for a bereavement visit in relation to the second of two funerals I have to do this week. I worked on the orders of service for both this morning. I had a phone call about another funeral in two weeks time, but had to turn it down, as I'll be in Mallorca by then. The days are slipping by rapidly. I have to get my head around necessary preparations for my time away.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment