Saturday 14 March 2020

Digital reaching out

Last night, although tired, curiosity got the better of me and I looked into the possibility of an app for my Chromebook which would enable me to record audio. I found a simple plug-in extension that does the job nicely and saves MP3 files for podcasting. I couldn't have asked for better. So, straight away, a made a recording of my sermon and emailed it to Dave for uploading. I now have to think about what I can do, here on my own, to record the Communion service we should have been celebrating in St Rafel tomorrow.

I took quite an effort of concentration to record first the Ministry of the Word and then the Ministry of the Sacrament. I wrote a special 'Intercessions during a Pandemic' prayers to include in the latter. Then it was a matter of uploading the MP3 sound files to the Chaplaincy Website. Thankfully Dave was able to read them, but uploading was prohibited because both files were just over the prescribed limit of 25mb. They needed editing, so I installed Audacity on the Chaplaincy PC. It worked a treat, I was able not only to improve the files with unobtrusive minor trims, but also compress them to 30-40% of the size of the original produced. These were uploadable, and can be found on the Ibiza Chaplaincy website.

I was pleased with my efforts, but really needed exercise afterwards. The sun was getting low in the sky when I went out, but I did my daily mileage quota, ending the walk in darkness. After supper I chatted on WhatsApp video with the family gathered around the dining table in Kenilworth for Rhiannon's birthday, and at the same time with Rachel in her kitchen in Tempe AZ. It's the first time I have had a three way conversation in this way, and was surprised at how well the house broadband coped with it. We must do this again when the international timing fits. Meanwhile I am wondering how I'll cope with physical isolation and living with the 'expert' knowledge that I am at particular risk and vulnerable because I am more than three score years and ten.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment