Friday 13 March 2020

Lockdown in prospect.

After breakfast this morning I learned from Rosi that FEREDE, the state recognised non-Catholic inter-church agency is recommending that churches do not meet for two weeks, and that everyone self-quarantines in the meanwhile. In UK this advice is given for anyone with covid-19 symptoms or has been near someone with those symptoms. It's a double precaution against transmission from someone who is a symptom-less carrier I suppose. How it's meant to implemented is not stated. In UK the connections between isolation and vulnerability is better considered.

I spoke to Clare before she headed off by train for Rhiannon's birthday celebration in Kenilworth. She was nervous about travelling, but determined not to miss out. Owain is going too. 

So, getting a Sunday sermon published on-line is one thing. I'm not sure the house technology kit would be up to live web streaming an act of worship, assuming others were keen enough to bother to watch it on home devices. I can't say I haven't done this before, thinking back to the time when I did a Christening in Aiglon Chapel eighteen months ago, streamed over iPhone, iPad and Macbook to family in L.A. South Africa and Oz. Some how-to discussion is needed to prepare this. It would be easy enough to record a downloadable liturgy audio podcast. The decision about compliance has first to take place with the Chaplaincy Council, then I can get to work.

What a strange situation I've landed myself in! It was a big step of faith to break out of domestic confinement after 18 months doing battle with this damnable ailment, and doing so has been far more inwardly nerve wracking than I could have anticipated, especially with all the Spanish Police check hassles on top of everything. Getting that done yesterday, however, has proved to be something of a breakthrough, as I discovered when I went out shopping before lunch.

I drove to St Josep, as I know there's a supermarket there with convenient parking. It was still quite well stocked, but busy with customers with full baskets, whether due to the weekend or covid-19 is anybody's guess. I got all I needed, and then walked to the pharmacy to stock up with antiseptic in case I run low. I was delighted to find I could explain myself fully in Spanish to the charming young woman who served me. She spoke English but didn't mind me insisting on making the effort. Now I feel more grounded, and that does me good, even if the prospect of a length of time in solitary retreat with no respite is just a bit daunting.

After a good walk this afternoon. On the teatime news I heard that the Spanish Prime Minister has declared a State of Emergency. Fortunately, there's plenty of open countryside here and few people are out and about on foot, so thankfully it's possible to exercise in self isolation. Clare has now arrived without incident in Kenilworth for Rhiannon's belated birthday weekend.

This evening, I revised and finished my Sunday sermon, and attached the readings for the day to the front of it, ready to upload to the Chaplaincy website. So that's a start made.

No comments:

Post a Comment