Thursday 5 March 2020

Finding my feet

I'm still learning and absorbing all that I need to know about ministry in this new setting, where two Catholic churches offer hospitality to Ibiza Anglicans, and also the Chaplain's residence and other member's homes are used for worship and fellowship.. I was told at the outset that much car driving would be necessary. That's not unusual in this diocese. There's a Fiat Doble chaplaincy car parked outside for me to use but I'll not attempt to use it until I feel settle and grounded in this new setting. Getting to know the landscape by walking some distances first I find helpful.

Churchwarden Rosi came to see me this morning and gave me an extended briefing about the house and how things work generally. The house water supply is from an artesian well just outside the finca, shared with a neighbour. Water is pumped into a house cistern which takes weeks to empty and then has to be refilled. I know how it's done now. I hope I can remember when it's actually needed. Such as lot more to take in, plus worship plans to think about for the next two months. Slowly, it'll all fit together.

After lunch, I walked along the back road over the other side the ravine behind the chaplaincy house down to the coast. It passes through a pleasant stretch of pine woodland, carpeted with winter grass, past a smallholding keeping chickens, Muscovy ducks, pigeons for their eggs, with a guinea fowl and a peacock, for whatever purpose. This leads to a long road of suburban houses down to the edge of a denser built up area of holiday apartment blocks and resort hotels.

La Cala des Bou is a cove overlooking San Antoni Bay, accessed by a narrow lane at the end of a one way street off the main road. It's built up with apartments and hotels on both sides, and the beach is of fine sand. At this time of year it's covered with organic matter, leaves and seaweed washed in by the sea, and looks a bit deserted and neglected at this time of year.

Internet access died on me in afternoon. As it's delivered via a satellite dish in the front garden, it's cureable by throwing the main power switch for a few seconds, Rosie told me earlier. I tried this and it worked. Later, Clare and I talked on WhatsApp, thanks to wi-fi. The quality is fairly good. If it drops out, it's not necessarily due to the internet connection either end, but some relay in between.
   
  

No comments:

Post a Comment