Wednesday 11 March 2020

Real and fictional crises

It's been a warm and sunny day, around 20 degrees with no cooling breeze, so the windows have been open, warming up the house. I walked up to Es Cuco for the few things I didn't buy yesterday, then Dave came by at the end of the morning to sort out the telly. It seems the Freesat box is dying, but he's fixed the system by another route to give me a selection of channels BBC included.

Solveig rang to discuss getting a police record check locally. As Chaplaincy Safeguarding Officer, she's been successful in doing this with others in the past. We're going into Ibiza tomorrow to see if this also applies to me. 

I went for a longer afternoon walk, exploring side roads criss-crossing the terrain, linking a great many fincas with fine houses, and the occasional smallholding. When I got back, I mashed two thirds of a jar of chick peas into hummous with a lemon from the tree outside the front door and the tahini I bought yesterday. The result is quite satisfying.

I lost internet connection after supper. It happens here occasionally, and can be cured by switching off the house electricity from the mains for ten seconds, and letting everything reboot.

The last three episodes of the world's longest running radio soap opera 'The Archers' has been very interesting to follow, since there was an explosion at Grey Gables Hotel at the end Sunday night's episode, with some powerful emotional scenes. An ambitious undertaking for the scriptwriters to get right inside a major incident featuring a succession of familiar characters, all well portrayed in shock because of the crisis. I think they've done very well so far. 

No mention of covid-19 on The Archers yet! It's been declared a pandemic by the WHO now, as it's spread to so many countries. Heaven know what the final death toll will be globally. I'm out here en el campo, and have have limited contact with everyone other than the few church folk who come here for bible study, plus Dave fixing the telly. All are geared up to take precautions. It's possible to go shopping and have minimal contact with anything in the store other than what I buy. If any shop person fell sick with the virus, I guess it would soon have to shut for disinfecting. 

Even so, feeling a bit vulnerable being here on my own is inevitable, and calls for extra effort to trust in God to see me through. I'm used to being on my own both at home and away, but the past year has exposed me to a kind of vulnerability I never experienced in life before. It's been a healthy learning experience in many ways. If I have learned anything about Providence, this puts it to the test.
      

No comments:

Post a Comment